"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Appropriate Use of Time

So, Christmas is coming in just a few weeks. I have things I need to tat for presents. I have things I need to knit for presents. I also need to finish the Kirsten butterfly (even though there's no deadline on that one). So what do I do? I start a hat for myself.

A few weeks ago, I made this hat for a friend. I said at the time that I enjoyed the pattern so much I wanted to make another for myself. I guess I just couldn't wait.


I decided to splurge on the yarn this time, too. It's a merino/ alpaca/ silk blend, and is quite possibly the softest thing I've ever felt in my life.

You may notice I'm using double point needles here. I prefer a circular needle for knitting in the round; I find it far more efficient and easier to control my tension. I generally don't switch to double points until I've decreased to the point where I have no choice. (Yes, I know about the magic loop trick, and I've watched videos, but it frankly boggles my mind.) So anyway, I had started this hat on a circular needle like I always do. Then the other day, my sweet, adorable little boy...


...pulled it out of my knitting bag and was playing with it. I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't look too closely; at the time I thought all he had managed to do was pull a little yarn off the ball. I just stuffed it back in the bag and left.

When I got home from work this morning and got it out to work on, I found that he had actually been far more interested in the needle.


Strong jaws he's got. Hence the double points even though I haven't started decreasing yet.

Apologies to all my tatting friends who don't knit; I know your eyes must be glazing over. I promise a tatting post soon. Although I can't post everything I tat right now either, since I will also soon be using my time more appropriately to make presents.

7 comments:

  1. Good one, my man!
    Your pal,
    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  2. your knitting is beautiful and I gonna start knitting tomorrow as well tatting is fun but not everyone can be given tatting! and I paint and some brushes are 10 or more dollars and my son stuck it in an orange and I too took a bit to realize what had happened, they are stinkers huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no issues with non-tatting posts. Those who read my blog, may have to put up with sock machine knitting as well as my tatting. I was able to borrow one last night. While I have tons to do for family thanksgiving next week with 30+ people to feed, and Christmas pressies to tat, I will find some time to play on the sock machine. Have a wonderful knitted hat, I love soft yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors you are using!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! You possibly can use a fine grade sandpaper to get the point back? I'm impressed you have adjusted to the double pointed needles and are forging ahead! The magic loop really is clever, but you would need to practice, and you'll be finished with your hat soon, with decreases coming up, and have other things to do with your time!

    That Gian is such a bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, could the end of the needle be sanded back to a point?
    Good thing the cat is cute!
    Katie in NC--also a knitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I don't think sanding would work for two reasons. First, too much of the point is gone already. That end of the needle would end up way shorter, and it would be unbalanced. Second, the thing I particularly like about the ChiaoGoo needles is the finish, which gives them neither too much friction nor too little; I would lose this if I sanded the needle down. So thanks for the suggestion, but I think spending a few dollars on a new needle will make me much happier than trying to fix this one.

    ReplyDelete