"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Side Project

I'm still working on Jan Stawasz's flower pots, but I got momentarily distracted by a knitting project. I had actually promised a friend of mine a hat late last winter, but I didn't have time to make it before the cold weather was over. I figured now would be a good time to get it done, so she can actually wear it this year!


This is a slouchy style hat; I've got it displayed on a larger sized kitchen canister so it doesn't flop over itself in the photo, but it actually will be... not floppy, but just looser... on the head.

The pattern is the Barrymore Slouch Hat by Lisa Shroyer. It was quite fun to make, although it took a little longer than I was expecting. Every time you change from the light color to the dark color, you do one row of sl 1 kn 1, followed by a row of purl. This creates those neat little color blips and makes those rows stick out just a little bit from the surface of the hat. At the bottom of the ribbing, you add a row of single crochet. I've never crocheted anything in my life, so this was a new technique for me. Now that I know how, I'll probably use it to attach tatted edgings to things-- much faster than sewing!

In fact, I like this hat so much, I think I might make another one for myself. I'd probably put a 3D tatted flower on it instead of the buttons.

I finished Sherry's TIAS, too. It just needs a little blocking.


And please keep those suggestions coming for what to name the pendant. I've got some great ones so far!

5 comments:

  1. The cho cho looks like a candy one. And I love the hat, That funny I figured that you knew how to crochet, You do so many things I don't know how you missed that one :) I do knit (small amount)and am going to take little tatting break to knit a little bit I want to make one pair of baby socks and one pair of finger less gloves and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have become e the knitt

    It IS unusual that you learned to tat first! Most of us learned to knit and crochet before learning to tat, and I've found that many tatters had the same frustration that I did of teaching ourselves knitting and crocheting from a book but could not figure out how to tat, from a book. And when I finally learned to tat it took a while for me to discover the 'crochet hold', which then really opened the door. So I'm surprised you're just now learning to crochet! Some knitters 'fear crochet, and vice-versa. That always amazes me, as they both have their advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably figured out, I had a little trouble with my comment! The edit button wouldn't work! Anyway, I was trying to say you have become quite the advanced knitter! I'm so impressed with this hat, and I have to say I've never before seen a button band on the bottom of a hat, over the ribbing! I assume there are button holes! That would be tricky! Good job on the crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the buttons are purely decorative (there's another pair on the other side), so there are no button holes. I don't feel quite ready to tackle those yet! The button band does sort of cinch up the ribbing a little bit, though, otherwise it would just be too big.

      I forgot to mention there are also hidden ear flaps on the inside-- just a doubled layer over the ears to keep the wind from cutting through-- so I also got to learn how to join onto an already made section.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, and I chose to use a chain edge on the button band to match the single crochet edging. I think you were the one who first told me about the chain edge, so thank you for that!

      Delete