"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Keeping Warm

Margaret let me know on Friday that Sandy Hook already has as many snowflakes as they can use, so I ended up not sending off the ones I had made. Instead, I will save them for the sale next fall. I'll make some more snowflakes for the sale, since I'm in the mood.

Since my tatting deadline was no longer in effect, I decided to finish my newest knit piece. If there's anything I hate worse than cold ears, it's earmuffs. So I made myself an ear warmer, which is like half a hat.


I used the bamboo stitch again, both for visual interest and to make the fabric thicker. I also went down a needle size from what was recommended on the yarn label, so as to make tight stitches that will hopefully be more wind resistant. I began and ended with a few rows of stockinette to make rolled edges. The yarn is Rowan Belle Organic Aran, a wool-cotton worsted. It will get its first test on my way to work tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Not surprisingly, you are designing already! I really like that bamboo stitch! Very neat job, and I'm betting this really does keep your ears warm!

    I'm hoping to attend the Knit and Crochet Festival in Pittsburgh in March, to see what's new in knitting. I just visit the vendors and sit in big comfy chairs to knit and chat; don't take classes. I can't believe it's been 20 years since our local guild co-hosted the 1993 Knitting Guild of America Convention!. And it was two years in the planning! (This is a different group, however.) I no longer belong to the guild but enjoy seeing old friends!

    I recently learned about the 'magic loop' in knitting, which is done with a long cable needle (the cable providing the 'loop'). You don't need to buy several cable needles in the same needle size (but different lengths) to accommodate the changine size of a project. It's pretty amazing! Of course, I learned about it on the Net!

    I'm sure your beautiful tatted snowflakes will be very much appreciated and will be displayed in a special way. The town was astounded when they got such a huge response to their 'snowflake project'. Again, the power of the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ears are going to be kept lovely and warm. Nice piece of knitting.
    I hope your snowflakes sell well when you put them on your table to sell.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming back to amend my statement about your Sandy Hook project snowflakes. I realize now that you were saving ALL your snowflakes to send at one time. I had thought you had sent some already. It was very generous of you to make them. I'm sure they will do well at the sale.

    ReplyDelete