"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Another Pendant, and More Knitting

Yes, this is still a tatting blog!


This is an adaptation of the "Melur" pattern from Jon Yusoff's book Tatting with Rings. Obviously, I didn't tat over a plastic ring for the center; instead I used split rings to move from one trefoil to the next in round 1. Aside from that, and the addition of a few beads, it is exactly as Jon wrote it.

I originally wanted to do something different with this doodad. As with the last Swarovski embellishment I used, this one has 8 little holes in the back that I intended to work with. That didn't work this time because the outer petals of this embellishment are filled with filigree, and there wasn't enough space to manipulate the thread to join to those back holes. I was therefore forced to choose a pattern with six repeats that I could join only to the outer petals of the doodad.

The thread is Yarnplayer's "Midnight Oil". I used some dark gray iridescent seed beads between split rings on round 1; the beads I used to join round 2 are also Swarovskis, so when I get this outside in the sun, it's really going to sparkle.

I'm still working on my knitting, too.


This is the start of a scarf. You can see from the fact that the lines aren't straight that I'm still figuring out my tension, but it's getting better.

I actually haven't worn a scarf since I got old enough to refuse, so this one is going to a friend who won't mind the imperfections.

3 comments:

  1. Your pendant is absolutely amazing looking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pendant is beautiful and VERY elegant! I love the thread colors and the beads. Jon's 'cabone ring' pattern worked out perfectly here!

    The scarf is looking good! I'm especially impressed with your very neat cast-on stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pendant,
    What do you mean your lines are not straight, It's basket pattern and that is how it would work out, I have been knitting since I was three so I can tell you with confidence that that's how the pattern looks on the wrong side, You are showing the wrong side, how do I know because I can see where you joined the black to the white. The right side won't have the lines on.
    Keep up the good work,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete