"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Abigail

This will be the last of the ornaments on satin balls for now, because this is the last satin ball I have. I'll have to order some more for next year, because I've really enjoyed making these.


This motif is "Abigail" by Fox. I used Lizbeth Christmas Red and Christmas Green, size 40. Wild and crazy idea, isn't it, using Christmas colors on a Christmas ornament?

All of the beads were pinned on afterwards. That's one nice thing about putting the tatting on a ball; I can decide later where I want to put beads. And if you're tatting something by Fox, you just have to add beads somewhere, don't you?

I've really enjoyed tatting these two motif's of Fox's, and I'm glad that she seems to have been bitten by the designing bug. I like how she does different things in the outer round instead of having it the same all the way around. This makes it much more interesting to tat, as well as to look at. I particularly find the negative space in this motif very appealing. Also, I like how Fox's patterns give the total number of picots in parentheses after each ring and chain; it never occurred to me before how much easier that would make counting. I'm going to start doing that when appropriate in my own patterns now.

On to other things now....

5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I love the beautiful ornaments you have been making! I invite you to take a look at my tatting as well: www.straightlacedtatting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That is really elegant for the Christmas season!! I love how the beads add subtle glimmer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a splendid collection of ornaments now. Great idea, I like the way you've pinned the beads on too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great thing about Christmas ornaments is that you can never have enough! And these satin ornaments are a great place to put all those motifs that would otherwise be put in drawers.

    Abigail looks great in Christmas colors!

    When I 'copy' patterns in my own 'notation' I always write the picots that remain showing after a ring is closed,and I also appreciated Fox's doing that. I'd like that idea to become standard. Even with the 'dash' system, if there are a lot of picots, it helps to know how many
    there are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Miranda! Abigail looks so luscious in these colours! And perfect beads, too!

    Thank you so much for the kind words and also for pointing out how you like that I add the picot number to a pattern.

    I DIDN"T do that in Heart for Misha, but now that I realize I have done it before and that it is helpful, I shall be sure to add the count in Athalia and Evelyn and to any future designs I might be fortunate enough to think up!. Thanks!
    Fox : )

    p.s. Gian is NOT impressed. He is adamant that the motifs I design belong somewhere near his litter box, if not in it, or under the bed. He says he would prefer I attend to delicately cooked chicken with herbs or fresh salmon. Humph.

    ReplyDelete