"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, February 5, 2012

TIAS Day 10 and New Ornament

Here's day 10 of the TIAS.


Just two legs left-- probably!

I've done some other tatting, too. Several people have been putting hearts together to form larger motifs lately. Jane did it, and so did Jon. Well, Nancy Tracy included one in the January Be-stitched newsletter; you can find the pattern on her website here. I immediately fell in love with the negative space in this design and knew I had to tat it soon.


I used LadyShuttleMaker's "Marina" HDT in size 80. For the first heart, I did it just like the instructions say, using two shuttles. Then I realized that you actually only need the second shuttle for that clover at the bottom point, and the chain leading to that clover needs to come to a point anyway. On the first heart, I did a lock stitch immediately before the clover in order to achieve that point before making the clover with the second shuttle. On all the other three, I just used ball and shuttle, and a shoelace trick before and after that clover.

The motif is pretty as it is, but I decided to bling it up a bit for a Christmas ornament.


I used a variety of beads as I pinned it onto the ball-- clear Swarovski bicones, light turquoise faceted Czech beads, purple beads off an old necklace I got for cheap at a yard sale last year, and some bronze-colored seed beads. The ball is an irridescent metallic one that I got from Handy Hands.

I absolutely adore this colorway, and I hardly have any left.


I am determined to use every last inch of it. What would you do with this much thread?

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty - the Nancy Tracy design which I have just downloaded to add to the enormous pile! Thanks!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm working on doodles at the moment - ideal for those 'odd bits'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it is a Goat!!! (: Love Nancy's motif and love the threads you have used.
    Linda in NM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been wanting to try that one...gorgeous in that beautiful thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colours and joining the hearts works well. I use Jane Eborall's very small SCMR butterfly to use up small lengths of thread. I sew them onto teashowers, clothes etc or give them away.

    ReplyDelete