"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Saturday, December 11, 2010

One More

Inspired by the way it looks in Trayna's picture, I blocked the chains on the outer round a little bit straighter this time. I like the way it looks. The thread is size 80 "Snowflake" by Yarnplayer. I think this colorway is beautiful, and it actually does make me think of snowflakes, even though it has so many colors.

Here's a comparison of size 80 thread and size 20 thread, with a tangerine for scale.

You can also see the subtle difference in shape between these two flakes due to the way the outer rounds are blocked. I love the fact that you can control this just by the placement of a few pins.

This is probably the last one of these I'll do for a while, but the pattern is almost ready.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a beautiful colourway. Yhis design is really powerful - holds the eye and will not let go.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Looks like ice with those colours. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just wound a skein of Snowflake on an EZbob and thought of using it for a snowflake. However, I'm forcing myself to stick to my Christmas presents and 1 white snow flake I'd already begun…
    These are really beautiful!

    xx bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said before, I really, really love this snowflake. I am looking forward to the pattern, if you make it available. For working with 2 colors, I use this method for making my split rings just one color to climb to the next round: http://www.e.n.e.btinternet.co.uk/SSSRDoubleCore.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Miranda, I was wondering if you are now ready to have someone proof tat your snowflake yet. I love this snowflake and saw it myself in person when I was at Palmetto's Tat Day event in September. I would so love to have the pattern and am willing to pay for it. I think it is one of the best flake I have seen. Hope to hear back from you soon.

    ReplyDelete