"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Snowflakes for Brains

A number of people have requested the pattern for my "Angels in the Snow" snowflake.

My response has heretofore been, sorry, but I used the pattern as a giveaway prize a while back, and if I started giving it out to everybody, then the winners of that contest (which was to name the snowflake) won't have gotten anything special. I did mention to all inquirers that I might someday offer it for sale. Well, "someday" has arrived. I've gotten enough requests that I'm going to do it. The price will be $3.00 US, and the pattern will be e-mailed as a .pdf file.

I don't have anything so organized as an online store; to order, just e-mail me at "luthien1 at comcast dot net" (obviously, you will need to substitute the appropriate symbols), and make your payment via PayPal to the same e-mail address. Do me a favor and e-mail me from the same account that you use for PayPal so that I can match up requests with payments. As soon as I have received your request and payment, I will e-mail you the pattern. Please bear in mind that I do occasionally have to work or sleep, and even when I'm home and awake I'm not always online, so please allow 48 hours before you start getting impatient. (It usually won't take me nearly that long, but I'm giving myself extra leeway, having learned from the experience of other people who sell their patterns online.)

All proceeds from sales of this pattern will be donated to the Brain Injury Association of New Mexico. For those of you who don't know, I work on an ICU with patients who have experienced severe brain injuries, whether from trauma or stroke. After these people leave the hospital, they still have an incredibly long road to recovery, and their lives will really never be the same. BIANM provides them and their families and caregivers with wonderful resources and support. The son of one current patient, after attending a BIANM workshop, said it felt like a 5000 pound weight had been taken off his shoulders.



Happy tatting!

5 comments:

  1. I am rushing over to PayPal to prepare my payment for your "Angels in the Snow" Snowflake. I remember the naming contest well! It was great fun to help name the snowflake.

    Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice new look! And the pattern is lovely!

    Thanks for your encouragement today - my design breakthrough was fuelled by your comment and others like it! Quite the process...

    Wonderful cause - I had a boss once who had a brain injury and went on to found the Brain Injury Association in Ontario - the first of its kind. I learned a lot about the issues from her - both about injury and about the support afterward that is critical to quality of life.

    All those car accidents in your state - you are doing a really good thing...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... the verification word was 'turist', which I was in NM; that is where the last sentence in the previous comment came from! Strange... or not so!
    Fox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous! I have snowflakes for brains myself so I'm not much for reading the content...just looking at eye candy and this is lovely...thank you! Must...have...snowflakes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing to do! I admire your service in your profession. I needed to tell you that my cousin, Trudy…can now walk to the end of the block and back, speak much better and bathe by herself. She also wrote me a very short note on the Halloween Card she sent, I am ecstatic to see her courage and determination.
    She has always sent holiday cards and notes; and the tradition continues. I think I shall have to order and tat this for her, as a token of my love and admiration at her 'comeback.'
    Bev

    ReplyDelete