"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My New Friend

I told you I'd be meeting somebody special today.

This is my new companion. He's about 4 months old; I got him from a lady at work who found his mother in a park last spring. I am tentatively naming him Squijum, after the small gray creature in The Unicorn Chronicles series. The Squijum in the books is infinitely affectionate, boundlessly energetic, capable of leaping amazing distances and catching any object in mid-air. So far it seems appropriate.

He got a death grip on that feather toy. I had no idea that, without opposable thumbs, it was possible to hold onto a feather that tightly, but cats can do anything.

I'll see if he'll let me get a face shot tomorrow.

After I post this, I'm going to find out what happens if I try to tat in front of him. It was challenging when Poly was this age, and I'm anticipating that it will be much the same with this one.

I did get a little tatting done earlier in the day, before I picked him up.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    I suspected this event, yesterday, and was keeping my fingers crossed! I

    He is so cute - gorgeous colour.

    I have only adopted older cats and have not had the pleasure and the challenge of one so young. Looks like handful, but lots of fun. Keep us posted!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you have a new bundle of furry and purry energy to liven up your life. Kittens are so adorable!

    I also admire the tatting you have been working on! Looks like a large project? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The markings are beautiful. I inherited, from a fellow educator, a x bred bob cat and tabby. His markings were re markable (excuse pun) too..and loved the tufts in his ears and bob tail. He never adjusted to house living, much preferred the out of door. I always say, "I'm not really a cat person; but my DH says ~ then why have you had so many in 55 years?" LOL He truly is a Cat Dad.
    What a lovely little puss in boots…bj

    ReplyDelete