"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Finally!

I've finally finished round 7 of the Rising Star doily.

Actually, I finished it yesterday, but it needed some serious blocking before it was presentable. It is now 12 inches (30 cm) across and no longer fits on the scanner. Only three rounds left, and they are all chains; by changing the starting place, I'll be able to work them all continuously.

Krystle, when you get to round 7, use the biggest shuttle you can hold comfortably. I didn't, and I had to refill twice.

Honestly, this round got pretty tedious after a while. I had to keep telling myself that the only way to get to the next round was to finish this one. Here's what finally got me through it:

This is the last book in The Unicorn Chronicles series, released on Tuesday. I love kids' fantasy lit, and I've been waiting forever for this one to come out. So I told myself I wasn't allowed to start reading it until I finished the round.

If, like me, you still check the back of your closet on a regular basis to see if you can get to Narnia, then you really should read this series. It's that good.

There was one more thing I wanted to talk about in this post, but it's not quite ready yet. It will just have to wait until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Since I don't have a tatting group to hang with, I tat while the family watches tv, sitting in waiting rooms, or while I listen to audio books. Children's science fiction is a favorite genre. Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of a series I hadn't yet discovered. The doily, btw, is looking great.

    ReplyDelete