"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Start

I've made a start on the wedding card- just the dragonflies so far:

They are done in LadyShuttleMaker's Rainforest, size 80. I doubled the cotton thread with a Coats and Clark metallic machine embroidery thread, silver for one on the left and green on the right. As usual, the metallics don't look that great in the scan, but they're very pretty in real life. I originally wanted to use just the metallics, but they kept breaking. I knew they would, but I never learn. This particular metallic is actually pretty nice to tat with if you double it with a cotton, but if you try to use it alone, well, there are medications for that.

After looking at many tatted dragonflies, I decided that, as is so often the case, Jon's pattern was the best. I used the alternate instructions, which leave no ends to hide. (I just cut the metallic threads close, because they are stiff enough to get away with that.)

Now to just add some pond scenery and pick a background color.

3 comments:

  1. Super lovely and the colours work really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to add metallic blending filaments to my thread so even though I can't really see it in the scan, I know how pretty they look. They add just that touch of sparkle without being too glitzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dragonflies are gorgeous, they look really shiny.

    ReplyDelete